7th December - Funding Project

Funding:

Endorsements are a form of advertising that uses famous personalities or celebrities who command a high degree of recognition, trust, respect or awareness amongst the people. 
Such people advertise for a product lending their names or images to promote a product or service.

Sponsorship- A sponsorship or endorsement deal is a business arrangement, which yields a commercial return for the sponsor/endorser and in exchange provides an ‘in kind’ or cash benefit to the artist.
Advertising that seeks to establish a deeper association and integration between an advertiser and a publisher, often involving coordinated beyond-the-banner placements.

(https://www.marketingterms.com/dictionary/sponsorship/
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/definition/endorsements)


Arts funded:
Momentum Music Fund

I have chosen the Momentum music fund route. The momentum music fund is run by the PRS foundation which is in partnership with PPL,  Creative Scotland and the Arts Council of Wales and Welsh Government. The Momentum music fund was initiated in 2013 by the PRS foundation and the Arts council England. 
The Momentum Music Fund offers grants from £5k upto £15k to support UK artists/bands to the next level of their careers. Activities eligible for support include recording, touring and marketing.
The fund can support projects by songwriters, composers, or artists, bands, producers and performers who are writing their own music or commissioning others.
The grants offered by the Momentum music fund are usually between £5,000- £15,000 to contribute to the artists development depending on the budget. The average is usually around £10,000.

I then looked into the Awards for young musicians and Future Talent. This is called the Young Musicians Development programme. These came to my interest due to what they fund for. These funding organisations mainly fund for instrumental tuition, practical and theory exam costs.
Future Talent inspires young lives and musical talent and has been doing so for almost 15 years. It's supported by ambassadors from the worlds of music, entertainment etc. 
Future Talent
Other students from future talent have used their funding to buy recording equipment and a laptop to help with their songwriting and producing. A violist who has developed into a solo and chamber musician, was funded to help with her lessons with her violin teacher.

There are also opportunities to perform as part of an ensemble of an orchestra called the Future Talent Orchestra. This would help with my future ambitions of performing as a band, providing me with more experience. 


Similarly, the awards for Young Musicians work by reducing the financial barriers from young people and music. 

Premise of my project

The base of my initial idea is music teaching, taking practical and theory exams for my individual performance and progression. Funding for music lessons following up to my exams (grades 7 and 8) on the flugelhorn is the foundation for my musical progression as a band member and performer. 
My later project idea would be to create original material from contrasting genres whilst touring around Europe and other continents around the world such as South America to perform and share music.
The aim of my project would be to bring the flugelhorn and other brass instruments into more styles of music such as Latin music inc. bachata/ Latin Pop in South America/Spain. 
In terms of the jazz genre, rather than jazz only being a style of music known as originating from America, I aim to help to bring jazz back into modern music which could include jazz education programmes in schools and colleges around London whilst putting on performances to what I do. 
It would be especially aimed towards female musicians as there are not as many female trumpet/flugelhorn players as there are of males. Playing as part of a band with other brass instruments (alto sax, drummer, pianist) would act as accompaniments. 

How will it help me now and in the future ?

Funding for music teaching, practical and theory exams would help me now as I will be able to take all of my graded exams (grades 7 and 8) before I go to university in 2019, however this is still ongoing without the fund. Being funded will aid in the process of this going faster. This is a benefit because my university auditions will consist of pieces of grade 8 standard and I would like to have reached grade 8 for the duration of my Degree. 

With a grade 8 in University, I would be able to get into music teaching as a part time job along with other qualifications, but this is one of the most important ones. 

How will it help others?

This funding project with the momentum fund will help me in the future because I will be working on my performance skills as a solo and performing as part of a band . I will have to compose original material, developing my own style and arranging for a band. 

It will help me even later on because, performing in multiple venues abroad will provide me with more musical experiences which I can use for other job opportunities which I will apply for in the future. Having more musical experiences in the field which I aim to be working in may increase my chances. 
Together with this carrying out the jazz education programmes in schools and colleges would open opportunities in music for children and teenagers. It will benefit and encourage students who wish to do music and do not have the opportunity at schools they attend. Having my grade 8  qualification and my other teaching qualification will aid in the smooth running of this, building my career as a brass teacher. 

How do you meet the criteria?

One of the ways that I meet the criteria for the future talent fund if being within the ages of 5 and 18. Also, my experience in the environment of performing in an ensemble and orchestra would help with my performance. Applying for the Robinson award,  this can fund for lesson fees, instrument purchase, graded music exam fees and more related to this. However, travel and accommodation is not eligible for this.

"Artists/Bands applying for the Momentum Music Fund must be at a crucial tipping point in their careers, showing current progression and growth as an artist with the potential to significantly develop their careers over the next two years."

To qualify for the Momentum Music Fund, the artist needs to be based in the UK. As I am based in London, this means that I meet this part of the criteria. 
Another question that is asked on the site is that the artist is expected to write and perform their own music as performing covers is prohibited. Currently, I have written an original jazz standard, together with composing solos on the trumpet/flugelhorn for instrumentals.
My music has been published on sound cloud, with examples of my jazz and classical playing. I have also been featured on YouTube as a session trumpeter/flugelhornist for performances. 

I have been featured in many shows in a range of venues in London such as the royal festival hall and theatres in East and Central London.

Additionally, the criteria list includes : Do you have evidence of a strong fan base nationally and regionally? This doesn't apply to me as I am a musician just starting out in the industry and therefore, despite meeting all f the other criteria such as performing around London, I don't meet some of the other criteria. The other criteria is to have been features in the national press or media, been asked to play and perform across the UK 

The awards for Young musician website says that the applicant has to be 17 on the year of their application. In 2019, I will be 18 on the 31st August and therefore, I will not be able to qualify for this fund. The applications will close on the 8th March 2019. 

The reward system 
My reward system for the momentum fund(future) would include merchandise and artist interaction. 

Merchandise:
  • CD of the tracks featured
  • Ornaments of the instruments featured in the band
Artist interaction:
  • Opportunity to play with the band if play a brass or similar instrument
  • Booking into a free music lesson with a band member of choice.

Applications I put through:

I have posted my application for Future Talent via the 'Join our Talent' page. https://www.futuretalent.org/#stories

Other links used:



Comments