UCAS Unit 10

UCAS and progression : UNIT 10

1. My Personal Statements

Before:

Instruments:

flugelhornist, with aspirations of playing as part of a band and teaching brass instruments. 
Beginning my music practice from the age of 7, my most memorable musical experience from a young age was when I performed as a band at The Royal Festival Hall with my Brass Band in 2011. 
I was introduced to jazz attending a jazz ensemble at The University of West London where I began improvisation and learning jazz standards such as 'Watermelon Man'
In my first year of performance at college, I performed and recorded three jazz standards where I collaborated with producers when recording and mixing.
Therefore, I would be able to participate in a range of performances and collaborate with other students whilst forming my own bands and projects. 
Apart from Jazz, for unit 8 I worked on an individual project where I collaborated with pianists, bassists and drummers. 
The whole project was based on a playlist which consisted of different styles of music on the flugelhorn which were jazz, pop, classical. Blue Bossa - Kenny Dorham, Chanson Napolitaine- Tchaikovsky and Michael Jackson's 'Human Nature' as mentioned above. I chose to focus on my versatility of genres in order to expand my techniques in the genres I play on the flugelhorn. I believe this will be useful for when I take part in workshops and ensembles of different styles. In terms of my progression, As a session musician/band member, I may be required to play in different styles. 
 I performed Michael Jackson's 'Human Nature' live in the Hitchcock theatre at Leyton Sixth Form. I created the arrangement which included the piano, drums, bass and the main part played on the flugelhorn. As the band leader, I was responsible for creating the charts and planning rehearsals. 
Stevie Wonder's superstition, which was another vocalists project, was performed live in our 'Solar' performance where the brass section was played by a saxophonist and trumpeter(me). The ability with other brass players to create and compose brass sections is useful in performance skills. 
I am currently taking lessons with a trumpet teacher who is assisting with my preparation for my grades 7 and 8 on the flugelhorn. I would also benefit from the one-to-one lessons offered at university. 

In terms of theory, I am currently working on my grade 5 theory because I believe that music theory is important for instrumentalists. Theory knowledge is
useful when reading music, identifying clefs, key and time signatures and when transcribing/transposing music. I think that's this knowledge would prepare me for the course as there will be times where I will have to read charts/sheet music, in the classical genre, composition and improvisation in jazz.
At Leyton Sixth Form, together with my music course, I completed the Broadening horizons award which is a series of extra curricular activities. Some examples of the tasks I had to do were reading and reviewing, communication and attending performances to evaluate (linking to my music course).
My progression from this course would be study postgraduate in order to prepare me for my long term goals as a band member and brass tutor. 


After and improved version:

A flugelhornist, with aspirations of playing as part of a band and teaching brass instruments.
My most memorable musical experience as a musician was when I performed as a band at The Royal Festival Hall.
From then, I continued my individual lessons and took my practical grades up to grade 4. Currently, I am working with my trumpet tutor to take my grades 7 and 8 Trinity exams. 
Attending The Junior Music school at The University of West London, I was introduced to jazz standards and improvisation in an ensemble.  This progressed onto solo performances and recording my own original jazz standard called 'Ongoing'.

In my first year of performance in college (Leyton Sixth Form College) I performed and recorded three jazz standards which were Cantaloupe Island - Herbie Hancock, Blue Bossa - Kenny Dorham and Song for my father - Horace Silver. 

In the Hitchcock Theatre in East London I performed Michael Jackson's Human Nature live. I created the arrangement which included the piano, drums, bass and the main part played on the flugelhorn. My experience with creating an arrangement for a band is an important aspect of playing as part of a band. 
Together with this, I collaborated with a saxophonist for the brass section in Stevie Wonder's superstition which we performed live in our 'Solar' performance. Collaborating with other brass/woodwind players in performance and recording during the course whilst composing has increased my skills in leadership and responsibilities.
From playing a great number of musical genres throughout my time at college, I have developed my playing in various genres especially jazz, pop and funk (superstition). Therefore, I am suited to participate in a range of performances and collaborate with other students whilst forming my own bands and projects applying techniques to the genre. 

In terms of theory, I am currently working on my grade 5 theory because I think that music theory is essential for instrumentalists when reading music, identifying clefs, key and time signatures. 
I think that this knowledge would prepare me for many aspects in the course such as transposition especially as I play in a different key to instruments in C. In addition, Reading charts/sheet music, composing for pop instrumentals, and improvisation in jazz are examples of where I have needed to use my theory skills.

Bilingual with Spanish and English, with an interest in European culture, I am currently working within a Spanish and Portuguese speaking environment while progressing my speaking abilities. My aspirations as a linguist are to teach Modern Foreign Languages and to translate them. 
This links to music as I wish to go on tour to perform and teach. Even doing a sandwich year abroad  in University is a similar experience which I would benefit from. 


I am about to start a Dissertation for unit 11 where I will be writing about Latin music and its growing popularity linking to my interest in culture and languages.
After this course, I would like to go onto studying postgraduate whilst pursuing my musical goals.

Successful replies
I have been gotten back to by 2 universites, and have been invited to an audition and interview at Middlesex university and LCCM. 
I have been preparing for my auditions by learning at least 2 pieces and preparing some commonly asked questions which I have researched online. 
The interview at Middlesex was successful as I have recently received an offer from them which is based on getting a Distinction. 
I have also been conditional offered an offer at Newcastle which is based on my grade being at least a high Merit. 

From my first interview, I have gather that the interview mostly wants to know why you want to study at that university in particular and not any other university. They also ask about my future goals to see where they can help and where to guide you. 
The musical tests are usually to play  one or two pieces, usually contrasting 

Make university choices in May 

Applied






Comments