Solo performance evaluation of the 4/2/19

Pop flugelhorn performance: 4/2/19

My pop flugelhorn performance at the Harrison was a series of pop songs which contradicted the dominating genres of flugelhorn and trumpet music which are classical and jazz. Many modern trumpeters have began playing in these styles in oppose to classical and jazz music.
Part of my inspiration to do this themed performance have been by the increase of pop covers from trumpeters such as Louis Dowdeswell, saxophonists such as Justin Ward shown in the screenshots below.
 These instrumentalists being able to play a popular, growing genre can increase their popularity on their social media and to gain recognition. Linking this to my performance, covering great songs by Michael Jackson and Bruno Mars will result in the audience recognising the songs, enabling them to engage in the performance. 
In the process of creating my setlist, I was contemplating whether to include Miles Davis's Time after time which is one of his jazz songs. Another song which was supposed to have a place in the setlist is Alicia Keys's If I ain't got you which is a fusion of R&B and contemporary soul. 
I had created a set list consisting of the songs 'Human Nature' by Michael Jackson, 'When I was your man' by Bruno Mars and 'Versace on the floor' by Bruno mars which were played with a pianist except for Versace o the flood which was played towards a backing track which I will elaborate more on later. 
The genres of these songs all linked together due to all having some pop elements. 'Human Nature' is a pop song following the verse-chorus structure
Versace on the floor has elements of pop together with contemporary R&B and rock. Its constant verse- pre chorus - chorus structure is the structure which a pop song would be based on.
When choosing my repertoire, I looked out for catchy, simple and melodic choruses with a repetitive verse-pre chorus-chorus structure and I  ensured that each of the song included some elements of this. Versace on the floor is said to be"a brilliant piece of pop songwriting, simple but with an irresistible hook." which supports the aim of my pop flugelhorn setlist. 

https://prezi.com/yhv9s6mv4e2b/characteristics-of-pop/
https://www.philstar.com/entertainment/2017/02/03/1668405/all-about-versace-floor

The positives:

When I was your man was well rehearsed with regular rehearsals which resulted in a successful performance. This was mainly due to my pianist rehearsing in her own time and the chord progression being within her playing abilities. I noticed this because it didn't take her a long time to be able to play the chords of 'When I was your man'. 
One of our performance took place at The Roundhouse to add in some extra rehearsals outside of college time. 
In when I was your man, the verses are all at one level in terms of their octaves which is shown by the first bar in the image below. This part is when Bruno mars sings 'Same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now'. 
It then changes to a higher octave which I have previously had issues with. The note would split(when the note is played but it breaks slightly so it's not held for long enough) This is when Bruno Mars sings 'oooooh ooh' in the pre chorus section. The lyrics for reference are below. 
A technique I have taken on from my individual trumpet lessons I am taking outside of college is using the correct breathing techniques to ensure that I am not struggling to reach certain notes in higher octaves. I had been taught to keep a constant air flow and not back away when I am trying to reach a higher note which I had done previously when rehearsing this song. When I reach the part where I have to play higher, I have to speed up the air quickly to play the second octave of D after playing all in the first octave. From using these strategies, I have overcome the problems I have previously had with the octaves in this song.
[Verse 1]
Same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now
Our song on the radio but it don't sound the same
When our friends talk about you, all it does is just tear me down
'Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your name
[Pre-Chorus]

It all just sounds like oooooh ooh
Mmm, too young, too dumb to realize
[Chorus]

That I should have bought you flowers
And held your hand
Should have gave you all my hours
When I had the chance
Take you to every party
'Cause all you wanted to do was dance
Now my baby's dancing
But she's dancing with another man

https://genius.com/Bruno-mars-when-i-was-your-man-lyrics

The main act of the performance was called Roshi who is a musician, performer, composer, sound artist and music facilitator who performed a setlist of 40 minutes aprox. 
Roshi's performance had contrasted to our performances as she played some pre-recorded sounds before one of  her songs to get the listener in the mood of her music such as the sound of rainfall which I think was very interesting. 
Despite Roshi having to perform without one of her other musician who were supposed to be with her there on the day, Roshi managed to run everything independently without being assisted which I thought was very professional. 
Her website is linked below and I also have a video of one of her performances below 
At the end of the performance, Roshi had given some feedback regarding the support acts and she had pointed out the contrasting performances of all of the performers. From Melika's song called 'Shy' with an African-American influence to a pop flugelhorn set, the performance was a mixture of styles and cultures. 

I also think that my organisation for the performance went well by creating some practice routines, I decided to create a practice routine for the songs in my set list in order to simplify and motivate my practice while working on the parts that require the most work. 
  • Practice routine for the week commencing 26.11.18
Monday 26/11:
Versace on the floor, learning fingering pattern
Tuesday 27/11:
Mouth piece buzzing to the melody of the song
Thursday 29/11:
Playing Versace on the floor and When I was your man towards a backing track- In preparation for Monday's performance
Friday 30/11:
Reading If I ain't got you- Alicia Keys from sheet music 

What didn't go well:

Verbally in introducing my performance 

At the beginning of my performance I included a verbal introduction where I introduced the songs which I would be playing on the flugelhorn. Due to my lack of preparation, my verbal introduction lacked a personal introduction about myself and the instrument I play etc. A few hours before the performance I rehearsed this with another musician to gather something but unfortunately, this didn't work and I had only introduced my song. 
  • Having to use a backing track last minute for Versace on the floor
For at lease 4 weeks prior to the performance, I began rehearsing with a pianist to play the chord accompaniment for Versace on the floor. Although there were many problems that had arisen with this, I still preferred to play with a pianist rather than a backing track. My pianist wasn't very experienced at the piano as this was his second or third instrument so he found the chord pattern quite difficult at some points. 
Once we had mastered the verse and chorus part, the section after the instrumental where the song changes key, it sounded very out of key as if the flugelhorn and piano were playing in different keys. Therefore we worked on this section various times but it was still sounding "off" and my pianist still hadn't finalised the introduction. 
In the end , the song wasn't finished so I had the backing track as a last resort which was a good thing. I transferred the YouTube backing track into an MP3 file on logic and had it playing from there for my performance 

Even though I had a dilemma with the pianist for Versace on the floor, I still kept organised and make sure that I had an accompaniment for my song. This was important as the original of Versace on the floor is also like that and it is not sung with just the vocalist. 
  • Altered the ending of Human Nature
This performance of Human Nature hadn't gone to plan like we had done in the rehearsals because the ending was altered slightly and was slower than we had rehearsed.
The other way that we ended the song is playing the melody for 'Does he do me that way' repeatedly for 3 times, slowing down and then a diminuendo. 
I noticed in the performance that my pianist looked confused and didn't know how to end the song properly or perhaps he thought that I was going to do another verse or chorus. 
As I was the main instrumentalist for this song, it was my error of changing my part and not following what we had done in the rehearsals or not rehearsing enough. During the rehearsal season, I had assumed that I didn't require as many rehearsals of this song as I did the other songs and the pianist knows Human Nature well and has also performed this as a vocalist with the piano. 

There was also a lack of energy from one of my piano accompanists shown by stiffness, not moving during the performance which contrasted to the flugelhornist. I believe that the chemistry on stage is important for a duet-style performance as it shows more connection between the musicians on stage which the audience likes. 

Future performances/improvements :
  • Shortening the songs down having not prepared September in the rain 
September in the rain was a failed performance as I didn't have enough time to learn this song the main issue which occurred her is choosing a key to play and playing in the same key as my pianist. In the end, I was playing from a notated version of September in the rain and transposing it as I read it. However, I was delayed to get an accompaniment for this piece as I didn't know a pianist in my group who could play in the jazz style. 'September in the rain' is a jazz standard which was originally sung but then it was turned into an instrumental song played by the trumpet, saxophone etc. 
The addition of this song could have added a pop and jazz fusion to add some contrast to my set list, gaining more of the audiences interest. For my next performance, I will aim to finalise my set list early and be sure of the songs I am playing in the correct order and actually work on all of them. By managing  my time well for 4 songs, I believe this will  be possible for my future performances. 
  • Having to use a backing track last minute for Versace on the floor
In my future performances, If i have the same issue with a pianist for one of my songs, I will deal with the problem early before the day of the performance instead of solving the problem last minute. This is to ensure that I had enough time to rehearse with the backing track instead of spending time working out what the pianist is playing which had wasted a lot of the rehearsal time. Therefore, next time it is my responsibility to either choose another pianist or make my accompaniment decision earlier on. 

I then looked into an article about preparing for a performance in advance which stated points such as...
"Conduct your mock auditions in less than idea environments. Try big rooms, small rooms, cold rooms, hot rooms, and rooms with acoustics of various types.Have an established warm-up routine that you utilize every day."
This can including visiting the venue prior to the performance to get an experience of what it might be like. It would have been an advantage to being able to play in another musicians set in the performance days running up to my performance. In the future, I would make sure that I am more familiar with my performance venue that I already was for this performance. 
"We all have a particular way of taking out our instrument, adjusting it, and getting it ready to play. We may have a stretching routine, or play scales, or slowly through the openings of our repertoire."
Before my performance, I had a few rehearsals during the morning before I went to the venue at 5pm, however I didn't warm up or anything before the performance as there was no playing allowed in the venue until it actually started which was 7pm. Therefore, I should have organised better to ensure that I was properly warmed up before the performance. The major issue which this resulted in was missing out the first note of the start of the verse in 'Human Nature' when the pianist had to play the intro again to make sure that I am starting to play. 
Warming up before the performance will get me ready for what I am about to play and prepare my lips and breathing techniques so that i am prepared for the song opening without splitting notes or playing late. 
  • Verbally in introducing my performance 
In my next performance, to do better with talking to the audience before I play, one of my ideas are to rehearse doing this while I am rehearsing my songs. From watching another rehearsal session, the singer acted like it was her actual performance and practised speaking to the small audience that she had which seemed to have helped her as what she has said during the rehearsals was similar to what she said before the performance. 
For example I could include my name and that I am a multi-genre flugelhornist and that I have decided to play in the pop style. I could have included why I had chosen to do those particular songs and a short story about how they relate to me. From watching and visiting a variety of performances in the first year of collage and some university open days, I have gained these ideas from other performers and artists.
Therefore, I have decided to take on this method for my next rehearsals/performances in the summer time. 


Performance videos:


Human Nature 




When I was your man 








Versace on the floor 

Comments