Identity Task

My Identity : Plan

Video - Influences on finding own identity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=3yNz4QG0SRw















My artist statement:

Omega Maxime-Weir, A trumpeter and flugelhornist from London performing classical, jazz and pop to explore the diverse techniques musical genres have to offer. Performing at London's music venues while composing her own original material, Omega combines her knowledge of language and culture into her music: Latin and Caribbean. She believes in valuing diversity and the philosophy that musical cultures harmonize different cultures through their sounds. Improvisation gives her freedom and expression within her playing. Inspiration collaborations with jazz and classical trumpeters have been an ascension for her genre-fluid ideas. 

....:

Classical music is usually notated and you would have to play exactly what is written. Jazz is in contrast to this which lets you be "free" which is more suited to my style as a musician, letting you be creative. 
My identity can be grouped into a variety of factors including values, interests and strengths. Due to having an interest in such an improvisational instrument, I would say that I am very creative in the music I play, especially jazz. 
Also, having an interest in different cultures and how diverse music is around the world, this could have an effect on my original material. Incorporating features from other genres and merging them whilst maintaining my playing style is a way I identify as a flugelhornist.  As the flugelhorn is a soft, mellow sounding instrument, I take advantage of this and emphasize the sound while playing in classical and jazz music. 

Logo or image


My visual identity or logo would be something which reflects the music I play being from different genres.Therefore, it should represent music from different genres merging together, played on the flugelhorn. 
The image on the right is Young Blood Brass Band's logo which is a large image made of just brass instruments. This could be because all of their repertoire, original and covers are all played on brass instruments as melodies and accompaniments. The sim of this could have been to represent their music. 
 Gaining inspiration from this, playing an instrument which is in the brass family, I believe that it is important to have my logo demonstrating the trumpet/flugelhorn, which is my primary instrument. 
Current image used for social media platforms. 










Musical experiences:
  • Performing as part of a brass band at The Royal Festival Hall twice 
  • Session trumpeter for songs performed at a theatre in East London
  • Playing as part of a classical orchestra
  • Performing as part of a jazz ensemble in Ealing (public)
  • Performing as a solo at a theatre in East London
  • Publishing trumpet/flugelhorn tracks on Soundcloud and YouTube 
  • Session trumpet recording for online published music in studio with producers 

Current:
  • Releasing music on social media platforms 
  • Creating a music portfolio 
  • Preparing for university
  • Grade 8 on my instrument  
Future:
  • The Abbey road studios/institute as musician 
  • live band performing in theaters and TV show sessions
  • Having music played in museums, tourist attractions/event venues. 
  • Teaching 
  • Touring - Collaborating with musicians from different parts of the world
  • Forming a band
Chanson Napolitaine on the trumpet 



Human Nature performance on the flugelhorn


Recording Blue Bossa on the trumpet 





My fanbase:
I currently have a small group of people who listen to my music on sound cloud, which are classical and jazz tracks I have published. They are mostly in the younger age group between 18-25.
In the future, I would like my fanbase to be a group people of all ages who enjoy listening to trumpet/flugelhorn music. These could be people who regularly visit jazz cafes, event venues or places where brass music is played as this is where I would like to have my music featured. 

Inspiration:



Young Blood Brass band 




Roy Hargrove
A jazz trumpeter, September in the rain inspires me the way he uses classical techniques such as acciacaturas in jazz music in this song. 


Tony Glausi - Inspiring trumpeter 

Marketing:

My Sound cloud Page features some music from contrasting genres, including a jazz standard called 'Blue Bossa' and a classical piece called 'Chanson Napolitaine'. Chanson Napolitiane is a well known song which has been used mainly for classical purposes and even television. 
My aim with this sound cloud page is to demonstrate the different genres which I play on the flugelhorn while still keeping within my style.
The next song I wish to release is my cover of Human Nature by Michael Jackson which is a pop song. I am currently working on the arrangement and I would like to do this in an indie style 

YouTube: 

















Soundcloud page




























Website:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/tony-fahkry/2016/04/this-is-how-you-can-find-your-true-identity/

Comments